How do I iterate over a list with sub-lists?

I have the following list of information that has sub-lists. I am looking for a way to transform this data using Airscript to return all of the lists whose sub-lists contain the product ID 98765. How would I do this?

Starting Data:

Desired Result:

Hi, Jake,

This is pretty easy to do with a transform step in a data flow. You could also use this directly in a Set Variable action.

Assumptions:

• data is the data you want to filter (your first screenshot above)
  • product_id is the numeric ID of the product you want to find in the lists
FROM
  list
IN
  data
WHERE
  LENGTH(
    FROM
      list2
    IN
      list
    WHERE
      list2.product_id = product_id
    SELECT
      list2
  )
    > 0
SELECT
  list

This works by checking each inner list to see if any of the products match the one you’re looking for by product_id. If the count is greater than zero, we have a match, so it will return the parent list. Here’s a screenshot of this in action using the sample data you provided:

6 Likes

@AirkitJeremy answer is great. Love it.

There are a couple of other ways to do this. We had worked on this:

FROM 
  i 
IN 
  input 
WHERE 
  ISNOTEMPTY(i[?(@.product_id = 98765)]) 
SELECT 
  i

This approach uses the JSON Path part of Airscript to solve this.

Also, instead of using length and compaire, you just use the function ISNOTEMPTY to do the same thing @AirkitJeremy is showing above:

FROM 
   i 
IN 
   input 
WHERE 
   ISNOTEMPTY(
      FROM 
         item 
      IN 
         i 
      WHERE 
         item.product_id = 98765
   )
SELECT 
   i
2 Likes

Building on Zach’s approach with JSON path, if you want to keep the expression as concise as possible, you can even nest this syntax to create a one-liner:

data[?(ISNOTEMPTY(@[?(@.product_id = 98765)]))]
2 Likes

hey @Jake_Hanson !

Adding to what the guys already shared, you can also build a UDF if you find that you need to perform the same operation time and again in your app.

Check out the following post: UDFs - Recursive list processing